For this project, you will write an article on your blog that compares the three best laptop computers comparable to the newest top-end model of MacBook Pro but under the latter’s price. As of Fall 2019, the most expensive model is the 15″ MacBook Pro that sells for $3499 and its default configuration comes with 2.3GHz 8-core Intel Core i9 and 16MB shared L3 cache.
In your article, you will need to include an introductory paragraph that describes the purpose and motivates your readers to continue reading. Very likely you will also need images of your laptops, tables that compare the specs side by side, and a conclusion indicating which laptop is the clear “winner” based on its price and the rationale. Just like any well-researched articles, you need to include citations either in the footnotes or on standalone page (in APA or MLA format).
This project will be holistically marked for its content, journalistic voice and layout. You may need to change the theme of your blog to format your content properly.
For some students, the skills that you learn in school such as factoring polynomials may seem irrelevant to real life. In the following clip, Daniel is preparing for a karate tournament but his teacher Mr. Miyagi is getting him to do mundane tasks such as waxing his car, sanding his floor and painting his house. As a result, Daniel gets frustrated and starts an argument with Miyagi. What Daniel does not understand is that Miyagi has actually been training him, even though Daniel does not initially see the point.
For this assignment, you will learn the skills the edit videos in preparation for the major project. The little skills you learn might be tedious similar to waxing the floor but when you put together your skills in the final project later in the term, you will see how much you have progressed!
Tasks for this Assignment:
- Watch the Karate Kid snippet.
- Download the video as a MP4 using a web software of your choice (e.g. ytmp3.cc).
- Use either Movie Maker 10 or Adobe Premier Pro CC to edit the video to 45 to 60 second in length. The video should be edited to speed up the lesson that Miyagi is trying to teach Daniel. Also include a customized title screen with the name of the movie clip and your name.
Both Movie Maker and Premier Pro are rather intuitive to use but they do require some time to learn how to do simple tasks and even more time to add special effects. You may ask your neighbor or watch YouTube tutorials to help you learn and navigate around these programs. You have 4 classes to complete this task.
- Take the personality test at 16personalities.com and review the results.
- Go to the following link and find the entrepreneur (or celebrity) who matches your personality: bit.ly/2FSlRFU.
- Go to office.com and log in. The username is firstname.lastname@example.org, replacing with your own student number and the password is the same one you use to log in with school PCs.
- Include the following slides for the rough copy:
- Title Page: entrepreneur’s name, personality code, your name, your block
- Two Slides: Who is your entrepreneur (i.e. basic stats)? What is he/she famous for? What business and/or company is he/she involved with? Do a bit of research using other online sources.
- One/two slides: What are your entrepreneurs’s strengths?
- One Slide: How might you become a successful entrepreneur, given your personality, skills, interests, networking and other strengths?
- Complete the rough copy, focusing mainly on content, by next class. You will have 5-7 slides in total. You will also have another class to focus on layout (i.e. how it looks) before the assignment is due.
- Next Class: Modify your PowerPoint to meet the Tips for Effective Presentations (bit.ly/2FSnAuJ).
Welcome to Math 8 Remedial with Mr. Kam at Van Tech. Math 8 Remedial is a fast-paced course intended to cover the major topics from Math 8 so that students could be adequately prepared for Math 9 upon successful completion.
- Course Outline: Download
- Textbook: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B1Za5TWUSjZTcTNCUkNnQUMxeVU (link from another website)
- Formula Sheet: Download
- Practice Final Exam / Review Package: Download
- Study Quizzes: Chapter 1 | Chapter 2 |Chapter 3 |Chapter 4 |Chapter 5 |Chapter 6 |Chapter 7 | Chapter 8 |Chapter 9 |Chapter 10
A Rube Goldberg device is a deliberately over-engineered machine that performs a very simple task in a very complex fashion. For this project, you will be using Flash to design and animate a Rube Goldberg device involving 5 or more transformations.
- Create an account on Career Cruising. The teacher will give you in-class information on creating an account.
- Start by completing the Matchmaker & My Skills assessments.
- The Matchmaker assessment provides a list of careers that might interest you based on the results of your assessment. After the first set of questions, you will likely need to answer more questions to improve and narrow down your results. The jobs are ranked based on your interest.
- The My Skills assessment assigns a letter grade to each of the careers in the first section based on your skills and ability. The careers with “A” and “B” grades are the ones that are worthwhile to be explored further.
I would like to take this time to welcome you back to a new school year and to welcome you to our course website.
This year, I am extremely excited to teach Business 8, Programming 10-12, and Planning 10 and to learn the names of all the new faces at Kitsilano Secondary! 😮 This is my first year at this school but I have over 10 years of classroom teaching experience from John Oliver and Windermere Secondary School, where I have taught business education, computer science, digital media and mathematics. I look forward to get to know all of you better.
In addition, if you are interested in starting a school club or team, come see me. I am a strong believer of building strong student leadership through community involvements and initiatives. In the mean time, please make sure to bookmark and check this website regularly because its contents get updated regularly. 🙂
– Mr. Kam
Social Media: http://facebook.com/kamsensei
Imagine that you and your business partners inherited $100,000 from one of your distant relatives. In the will, it states that the money must go towards starting your own business. In trios (or pairs in exceptional cases), generate a couple of business ideas for a retail store across from the school. It should cater to other high-school students (or specific groups of high school students). Continue reading