Watch this video that explains differences between video formats, codecs and containers and describes the different types. Pay special attention to the end of the video (specifically, 10:40 and onward) which will provide recommended settings for exporting your assignments on YouTube and Google Drive.
For some students, the skills that you learn in school such as factoring polynomials may seem irrelevant to real life. In the following clip, Daniel is preparing for a karate tournament but his teacher Mr. Miyagi is getting him to do mundane tasks such as waxing his car, sanding his floor and painting his house. As a result, Daniel gets frustrated and starts an argument with Miyagi. What Daniel does not understand is that Miyagi has actually been training him, even though Daniel does not initially see the point.
For this assignment, you will learn the skills the edit videos in preparation for the major project. The little skills you learn might be tedious similar to waxing the floor but when you put together your skills in the final project later in the term, you will see how much you have progressed!
Tasks for this Assignment:
- Watch the Karate Kid snippet.
- Download the video as a MP4 using a web software of your choice (e.g. ytmp3.cc).
- Use either Movie Maker 10 or Adobe Premier Pro CC to edit the video to 45 to 60 second in length. The video should be edited to speed up the lesson that Miyagi is trying to teach Daniel. Also include a customized title screen with the name of the movie clip and your name.
Both Movie Maker and Premier Pro are rather intuitive to use but they do require some time to learn how to do simple tasks and even more time to add special effects. You may ask your neighbor or watch YouTube tutorials to help you learn and navigate around these programs. You have 4 classes to complete this task.
After completing the in-class activity, answer the following questions in a blog post:
- What is fake news?
- What are ways to help you detect fake news? Name at least 5 hints or strategies.
First watch the documentary called “Addicted to your phone?” on CBC: https://www.cbc.ca/marketplace/episodes/2017-2018/addicted-to-your-phone
Next create a blog post and respond to the following questions:
- What is the documentary about?
- In what ways were you able to relate to this video
- What did you learned from the documentary? Name 3 surprising things.
- What could you do if you or somebody close to you were addicted to their devices?
Welcome back to a new school year! Hope everybody had a safe and relaxing summer but now ready to grind our gears!!!
Mr. Kam’s Schedule in Room 142 (unless specified otherwise):
- Block 1-1: Programming 11/12, Applied Digital Design 11/12, Digital Media Development 12
- Block 1-2: Programming 11/12, Applied Digital Design 11/12, Digital Media Development 12
- Block 1-3: Computer Studies 10 (formerly Programming 10) and Info Tech 9
- Block 1-4: Computer Studies 10 and Info Tech 9
- Block 2-1: Marketing and Entrepreneurship 8 (Business 8)
- Block 2-2: Marketing and Entrepreneurship 8 (Business 8)
- Block 2-4: Career-Life Education (formerly Planning 10) in Room 135
- Tutorial (8:35 – 8:55) by Appointment (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Day 1/1A and Day 2: Room 142
- Day 2A: Room 134
- Block 2-3 in Room 134
I would like to take this time to welcome you back to a new school year and to welcome you to our course website.
This year, I am extremely excited to teach Business 8, Programming 10-12, and Planning 10 and to learn the names of all the new faces at Kitsilano Secondary! 😮 This is my first year at this school but I have over 10 years of classroom teaching experience from John Oliver and Windermere Secondary School, where I have taught business education, computer science, digital media and mathematics. I look forward to get to know all of you better.
In addition, if you are interested in starting a school club or team, come see me. I am a strong believer of building strong student leadership through community involvements and initiatives. In the mean time, please make sure to bookmark and check this website regularly because its contents get updated regularly. 🙂
– Mr. Kam
Social Media: http://facebook.com/kamsensei
The current game allows the cat the move left and right, jump when it’s on a platform, and drop when nothing is underneath it.
Task: Modify the game with the following things:
- Include an intro screen with three stages and winning screen. The intro screen should transition into the first stage after 2-5 seconds or after start button is pressed.
- At each stage, there is a flag. If the cat touches the flag, it advances to the next stage. The cat advances to winning screen after it touches third-stage flag.
- The cat start each stage at a fixed position.
- Include at least one of the following: (1) lava, (2) spikes, or (3) enemy — with a natural consequence.
Scenario: Your cousin has just moved out to study marketing at Simon Fraser University. He plans to buy a brand new computer for his school work, but he can only spend $650 (before tax). He asks for your help to choose one.
Task: With a partner, you will help your cousin research computers that meet his needs. Continue reading
These commercials are created by the Business 10 and Info Tech 10 classes. The playlist is sorted from newest to oldest.