This post contains information for students in the BCA 11 cohort who wish to learn about databases using Access 2013.
Students are expected to learn the material within a reasonable self-paced timeline, and therefore are expected to be responsible for their own self-directed learning. The course material for the database unit can be found online at www.gcflearnfree.org/access2013.
Scope and Sequence–about 15 classes
- Access Basics–2 classes
- Working with Data–5 classes
- Running Queries and Reports–6 classes
- Database Design Tips–2 classes
- Download and save the Sample Database onto your USB drive. Most of the examples and exercises refer to this file. You will need to make multiple copies of this file.
- Read the assigned lessons(s) on www.gcflearnfree.org/access2013. Bookmark it!
- Though it is not required, the teacher strongly recommends that you follow along with the examples and write down definitions for personal reference–but whatever fits your learning style.
- You may work with a partner. In fact, you are encouraged due to limited teacher instruction.
- Complete the Challenge! exercise on the last page of each lesson.
- Your mark will based on a video recorded demonstration that shows you completing the Challenge! exercise in real-time. It is expected that you start each assignment with an unmodified version of the Sample Database.
- Your mark is based on (1) how well you meet the criteria on the Challenge! page (67%), and (2) how fast you are able to complete it from start to finish (33%).
- The demonstration must be recorded using a video camera (e.g. iPhone) or a screen-capture recorder (e.g. CamStudio). The final product must be uploaded as either a public or unlisted YouTube video.